Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Bringing home baby...

3am sounds like a good time to update a blog...wouldn't you agree?  I have been meaning to do this for a few days, but right now, it seems that all I'm doing is either holding William, feeding William, changing William's diaper, or sleeping.   And I'm loving every minute of it, because thanks to my wonderful mother who has been here all week, I have gotten some sleep and am feeling refreshed.  


My baby boy is now 1 week and 1 day old.  I do have to say that I think he may be the cutest baby boy in the whole world...and no, I am not biased one bit!  We are wholeheartedly in love with this little one.  I love to look at his little fingers and toes and just wonder at what an amazing God we serve, that He could create such a precious little life so perfectly.  For those of you who don't know our history, Jake and I lost our first baby to an ectopic pregnancy back in August of 2009.  William has been a much prayed for little boy...an answer to a lot of prayers.  Jake and I have seen God's faithfulness in many ways over the last 2 years, and each time I hold my little William I am reminded of that.  


Okay...enough of that.  Onto Wiliam's birth.  This little boy apparently wanted to avoid entering this world if at all possible.  I stopped working on October 28th, anticipating that we would be having a baby in the few days following, since my due date was October 30th.  Wrong!!!  October 30th came and went with no baby.  So did October 31st, and November 1st, and so on.   Finally, we scheduled an induction on November 6th at 41 weeks.  By that point, I was REALLY ready to get this kid out of me!  


When Sunday, November 6th rolled around we headed to the hospital.  The one nice thing about being induced is that you can plan for the birth, so my parents were already here and Jake's folks were headed this way.  Of course, my dad was ready to go with his camera!   



As I am walking into the hospital here, I naively believed that I would be leaving the next day.  Ha!  William had other plans.  We arrived at 8am and got suited up and ready for labor!  The morning was great.  My mom and mother in law hung out with us in the room and we enjoyed visiting with each other.  




Labor began around noon, and I have to say that I have great respect for those of you who have done this without medication.  I labored for about an hour before my epidural kicked in.  Whew!  I am thankful for good medicine!  Around 9 pm that evening we were told we were ready to go!  I remember being so excited.  We might get to meet our baby boy at any moment.  However, like I said earlier, William had other ideas.  After trying for about 2.5 hours, I was told I would need to have a c-section.  William was just not budging.  I have to admit that I was a bit devastated by this news.  C-Section was not in my vocabulary...I never even had a thought that I would end up having a c-section, because everything had gone so perfectly.  But needless to say, Jake and I suited up for surgery and off we went.  

Honestly, the section was not that bad. The worst part of the whole experience was that I didn't get to hold William right away.  But, we had a healthy, 8 lbs. 5 oz. baby boy!  And for that I am thankful. 





We ended up spending the remainder of the week in the hospital.  William and I both had to be treated with anitbiotics due to a possible infection, so we didn't get to bring him home until Saturday morning.  It was a very long week.  Bringing him home on Saturday was very special.  




I had purchased a special little outfit for him to wear home, but reality quickly set in.  Not five seconds after I had put it on him, he completely messed it up.  Jake found this hilarious.  So...William went home in his outfit he had been wearing for the past two days in the hospital.  Oh well.  




Saturday was a fun day.  Aunt Mary Rachel was in town and came by to watch the game and eat pizza Saturday night.  It was a good first day at home.  


My mom has been in town this past week helping with William, cooking and cleaning.  That has been such a blessing.  I am still recovering from surgery, so her help has been much needed.  She's also been helping at night, which has given me a chance to get some sleep.  And in the meantime, we are enjoying this little face...



More to come soon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment